Cornwall and Scilly Urban Survey Logo Background The Project The Towns Links Contact Us
 home > towns > hayle

Hayle

Hayle developed in the 18th and 19th centuries as an important mining town, industrial centre and port. From the early 19th century it was home to two of the three largest mine engine foundries in the world. The town of Hayle is situated on the north coast of Cornwall. It lies four miles to the east of St Ives, on the east side of the Hayle estuary. It is eight miles from Penzance and five from Camborne and the great industrial heartland of 19th century Cornwall.

Until 1934 Hayle was governed by two authorities, Hayle Urban District Council and Phillack Urban District Council. From 1934 to 1974 it was a parish council within West Penwith Rural District Council. Currently the Town Council has the status of a Parish Council within Penwith District. The town was traditionally divided between the parishes of Phillack (to the north and east) and St Erth (to the south and west). A third historic parish and church, Lelant, stands on the west side of the Hayle Estuary. A new parish of St Elwyn was created in 1870 from Phillack, and a church built in 1888. The three churches of Lelant, St Elwyn and Phillack are today the most potent symbols of the late origin of the town within its varied geographic and historic setting.

A separate project and report, the Hayle Historical Assessment was undertaken in 2001.


Downloads:

The downloads offered below represent the different elements of the CSUS Hayle Report including the core text, seven illustrative figures and four character area summaries. The majority of the downloads are large files (to maintain some quality of image resolution) and therefore may take time to download.
 

  Title Description

Format

Size

CSUS Hayle Report REPORT text detailing the results of the historic character study for the town of Hayle. Bridget Gillard and Kate Newell, Historic Environment Service..

Format type: PDF

2439kb

Figure 1 - Location & Topography Map Map showing the location of Hayle and its immediate topography.

Format type: PDF

1864kb
Figure 2 - Ordnance Survey 2nd Edition 1:2500 Map (c.1907) Map showing the town of Hayle in c.1907.

Format type: PDF

2756kb
Figure 3 - Historic Development Map Map showing the historic development and expansion of Hayle.

Format type: PDF

1665kb
Figure 4 - Historic Settlement Topography Map Map showing the historic topography of Hayle with key areas of historic activity.

Format type: PDF

2264kb
Figures 5 - Surviving Historic Components Maps Three maps showing the surviving historic buildings of Hayle. Format type: PDF 1143kb
Figure 6 - Urban Archaeological Potential Map Map showing the areas and sites of archaeological potential in Hayle.

Format type: PDF

1094kb

Figure 7 - Character Areas Map Map showing the seven character areas identified by the survey of Hayle.

Format type: PDF

2356kb

Character Area 1. Copperhouse Copperhouse is the commercial heart of Hayle. It retains a Market House of 1839 and a good collection of 19th century shopfronts. Historically an intensely industrial area, this use has reduced over time but an industrial character is retained in the surviving elements including the canal and dock, the continued warehouse / manufacture use of the former industrial sites and in the strong grid pattern of industrial housing laid out by the CCCo on the rising land to the south of Copperhouse Pool. A significant feature of the architecture of the area is the extensive use of scoria block, a by-product from the CCCo’s copper smelter located here in the 18th and 19th centuries

Format type: PDF

1333 kb
Character Area 2. Foundry Foundry Square forms the most impressive urban set-piece of the town. The scale and detailing of the surrounding architecture displays a grandeur and distinctly urban character not matched to the same extent elsewhere in Hayle. Foundry forms a secondary commercial focus in the town, particularly important for banks, post office, cafes and local shops. The important remains of the foundry complex represents the best surviving industrial group in the town and one of the best in Cornwall. The international importance of Harvey’s Foundry makes the survival and ongoing regeneration of the complex all the more important in the context of the World Heritage Site bid. The large villas set in their mature landscaped grounds are closely connected with the ambition of the Harvey family and business, and are a distinctive feature of the area and an important architectural group within the town.

Format type: PDF

1328kb

Character Area 3. The harbour The harbour has been the economic powerhouse of the town. The estuary was the reason the industrial companies established here and therefore the reason the town developed here. The estuary and the three channels that flow into it at this point have been extensively manipulated and modified with the extensive engineering that has gone on to create the current arrangement of quays and wharfs, canal channels, sluicing pools and causewayed roads. The harbour complex is a remarkable piece of engineering. This area is seen as the major regeneration site for the town.

Format type: PDF

1665kb

Character Area 4. Penpol This area forms a middle ground between the two settlements of Copperhouse and Foundry. An 18th century focus around Merchant Curnow’s quay is located at the west end of Hayle Terrace. Mid 19th century terraces built for the professional classes were developed here to take advantage of picturesque views over the harbour. Later 19th century development seems to suggest a concerted effort to develop an urban focus here including the landmark church of St Elwyn, designed by Sedding.

Format type: PDF

1320kb

   

You need Adobe Acrobat Reader 6 to view these documents. Download a free copy by clicking the logo
   
 home > towns > hayle
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
frequently asked questions general credits terms & conditions © 2005. Historic Environment Service Last Updated: 1/11/2005