|Cornwall Industrial Settlements Initiative|
|home| settlements | links|
TUCKINGMILL & ROSKEAR
Council: Kerrier District Council
Location: Mid-west Cornwall north of Carn Brea, in the Redruth-Camborne conurbation.
Main period of industrial settlement growth: 1830-80;1900-08; 1920s
Study Area: Camborne/Redruth
NGR: SW 6540
Main industry: Copper and tin mining/ engineering/ fuseworks and other ancillary manufacturing
Industrial history and significance
· Tuckingmill, at the heart of the principal Cornish industrial zone, is one of the best places in Cornwall to get a feel for the incorporation of industry within the urban environment– there are few better places where the visible remains of a whole range of industries can be discerned from the earliest times right through to the 1990s.
· It contained within its boundaries some of the greatest of all Cornish mines (including Dolcoath) as well as the last surviving (South Crofty), and the Red River Valley was a dense network of mills, tin streaming, tailings works and arsenic works.
· It was served by one of the earlier and more successful mineral railways in Britain.
· More than this, Tuckingmill was the site of major manufacturing complexes of some of the best known companies in Cornwall – Bickford-Smith, Vivians, Bartles, Holmans, Bennets, the Climax Rock Drill company; exceptionally important groups of buildings relating to these still survive.
· As a settlement, although it never grew to rival Camborne or Redruth, it contains within a small area one of the most representative collections of buildings and structures across a wide date range, set in a unique townscape preserving much of its pre-industrial topography.
This settlement forms part of the proposed Cornwall & west Devon Mining Landscape World Heritage Site Bid, and is considered an important part of the context for the Bid.
The downloads offered below represent the different
elements of the CISI Tuckingmill - Roskear Report including the core text and the
seven illustrative map figures
|CISI Tuckingmill - Roskear report||Report text.||
|Figure 1||Location map||822kb|
|Figure 2||Historical development map||1037kb|
|Figure 3||Surviving historic components map||1037kb|
|Figure 4||Gazetteer sites, existing designations and recommendations map||1087kb|