Cornwall Industrial Settlements Initiative
home| settlements | links

Name: ST JUST
Council: Penwith District Council
Location:
North-west coast of West Penwith, west of Penzance
Main period of industrial settlement growth: 1820-60
Study Area: St Just Mining Area
NGR: SW 3731
Existing Conservation Area?:
No
Main industry: Mining

Industrial history and significance

Originally a small medieval churchtown, St Just grew into the principal centre of the old mining area, with growth dependent on the industry since at least the 17th century. The rapid expansion of the 1830s created a boom town, with rows of cottages laid out on a fixed plan that make it more like a northern English industrial town than any other settlement in the area. With a market developed by the 17th century, the industrial period saw increasing development of the commercial and service sectors in the town, along with religious and educational establishments. Even after the failure of local mines in the 1860s, St Just continued to provide and even expand these facilities for the wider area, and is still the main population and service centre west of Penzance.

Downloads:

The downloads offered below represent the different elements of the CISI St Just Report including the core text and the four illustrative map figures.
 
 Title Description Format Size
CISI St Just report Report text. Format type: PDF

658kb

Figure 1 Location map Format type: PDF 2654kb
Figure 2 Historical development map Format type: PDF 872kb
Figure 3 Surviving historical components map Format type: PDF 877kb
Figure 4 Gazetteer sites, existing designations and recommendations map Format type: PDF 797kb
       

contact | terms & conditions | download adobe acrobat reader

Last Updated: 08/01/2004. © Cornwall County Council, Historic Environment Service.