Cornwall Industrial Settlements Initiative
home| settlements | links

Name: ST BREWARD
Council:
North Cornwall District Council
Location: West side of Bodmin Moor, overlooking River Camel
Main period of industrial settlement growth:
1840-1930
Study Area:
Bodmin Moor/Tintagel
NGR:
SX 0976
Main industry:
Granite quarrying

Industrial history and significance

Originating as a medieval Churchtown and a series of farming hamlets, St Breward was influenced by tin streaming, copper mining and china clay extraction, but the main industrial impetus for the modest expansion it experienced during the second half of the 19th century was the opening of Tor Down Quarry. As a result of the latter, the main settlement focus shifted from Churchtown to Row (and to a lesser extent Limbhead), where terraced housing, the village store, and three chapels characterise this period. The distinctive 1929 council housing at Rylands and the 1930 school at Hill may also have been built in response to the continued operation of the quarry (which only closed relatively recently). Nineteenth and early 20th century development within St Breward’s other component settlements (Churchtown, Hill, Lower and Higher Penquite), however, owed more to agriculture, which has remained a dominant economic force to the present day.

Downloads:

The downloads offered below represent the different elements of the CISI Pool Report including the core text and the four illustrative map figures.
 
 Title Description Format Size
CISI St Breward report Report text. Format type: PDF

3639kb

Figure 1 Location map Format type: PDF 2027kb
Figure 2 Historical development map Format type: PDF 2279kb
Figure 3 Surviving historical components map Format type: PDF 2267kb
Figure 4 Gazetteer sites, existing designations and recommendations map Format type: PDF 3571kb
       

contact | terms & conditions | download adobe acrobat reader

Last Updated: 17/08/2005. © Cornwall County Council, Historic Environment Service.