Cornwall Industrial Settlements Initiative
home| settlements | links

Council: Penwith District Council
North-west coast of West Penwith, north of St Just
Main period of industrial settlement growth: 1820-1986
Study Area: St Just Mining Area
NGR: SW 3834

Main industry: Mining

Industrial history and significance

Lower Boscaswell was the original settlement focus in this area, and, because of the continuation of mining in the vicinity right up to 1991, went through a long period of continuous development and change. There are prehistoric settlement remains, a medieval holy well, buildings associated with post medieval farming and pre-19th century mining, as well as 19th century industrial housing and mid 20th century mining remains and housing.

The scatter of hamlets along the main B3306 road now known as Pendeen rapidly grew and merged in the early 19th century mining boom. This is one of the best places to see mining remains cheek by jowl with some of the most impressive rows in the St Just Mining Area. The new nucleation took the name from the new parish formed in 1843 to serve the mining area of north St Just, and the complex of religious and educational buildings around the church is perhaps the most telling monument to the importance of mining in the settlement.

This settlement forms part of the proposed Cornwall & west Devon Mining Landscape World Heritage Site Bid, and is considered an important part of the context for the Bid.


The downloads offered below represent the different elements of the CISI Pendeen Report including the core text and the four illustrative map figures.
 Title Description Format Size
CISI Pendeen  report Report text. Format type: PDF


Figure 1 Location map Format type: PDF 2653kb
Figure 2 Historical development map Format type: PDF 772kb
Figure 3 Surviving historical components map Format type: PDF 775kb
Figure 4 Gazetteer sites, existing designations and recommendations map Format type: PDF 654kb

contact | terms & conditions | download adobe acrobat reader

Last Updated: 08/01/2004. © Cornwall County Council, Historic Environment Service.