Home  ·  Neolithic  ·  Bronze Age  ·  Iron Age  ·  Romano-British  ·  Early Mediæval  ·  Mediæval Interactive Maps  
 
 
MediŠval
   
Bridge
Castle
Chapel
Church
Holy Well
Manor
Plain-an-Gwarry
Pound
 
 
    Pound menu
1066 to 1540
 
 
King Arthur's Hall   King Arthur's Hall
The monument consists of fifty-six stones which originally stood upright forming the internal face of a steep sided rectangular bank. The date and purpose of the site remain obscure. The first reference to it is in a document dated 1584, at which time it had already enjoyed a long association with King Arthur who was reputed to have frequented the site, and hence gave his name both to the site itself and the area of moorland in which it lies.
 
     
 
     
 
     
 
     
 
     
 
     
 
     
 
     
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Pound


Usually associated with areas of common grazing, a pound is a place where stray animals (ie animals owned by persons who did not enjoy rights to the common) could be penned in until reclaimed. Pounds were often circular in shape and constructed of strong stock-proof stone walls.


 
supported by HLF and compiled by the Historic Environment Service of Cornwall County Council  
last updated: 05/09/2007