Home  ·  Neolithic  ·  Bronze Age  ·  Iron Age  ·  Romano-British  ·  Early Mediæval  ·  Mediæval Interactive Maps  
 
 
MediŠval
   
Bridge
Castle
Chapel
Church
Holy Well
Manor
Plain-an-Gwarry
Pound
   
 
 
    Plain-an-Gwarry menu
1066 to 1540
 
 
St Just   St Just
Situated in the centre of St Just to the west of the present parish church, the mediæval amphitheatre, playing place or plain-an-gwarry is a large circular enclosure retained by a 2 metre high dry stone wall, with two entrances cut into the north and south-east sides.
 
     
 
     
 
     
 
     
 
     
 
     
 
     
 
     
 
 
 
Plain-an-Gwarry


A mediæval amphitheatre, usually circular in plan, used for the performance of miracle plays ľ religious dramas which lasted over a period of two or three days, and described biblical events or dramatised the lives of the saints.


 
supported by HLF and compiled by the Historic Environment Service of Cornwall County Council  
last updated: 05/09/2007