Home  ·  Neolithic  ·  Bronze Age  ·  Iron Age  ·  Romano-British  ·  Early Mediæval  ·  Mediæval Interactive Maps  
 
 
Mediśval
   
Bridge
Castle
Chapel
Church
Holy Well
Manor
Plain-an-Gwarry
Pound
   
 
 
    Church menu
1066 to 1540
 
 
Lanteglos Church   Lanteglos
Lanteglos church stands in a small valley south west of Camelford and is the mother church of Advent and Camelford. The church is dedicated to St Julitta and is of Norman origin, parts of which still survive. It was rebuilt in the fourteenth and fifteenth centuries.
 
St Piran's Churches   St Piran's Churches
Now lying buried under the wind blown sands of Perran Bay, St Piranís Oratory is considered as one of the most important early Christian sites in Britain. It was allegedly built in about the eighth century by St Piran. The later church of St Piran on Perran Sands was built in about 1150 as the nearby oratory became progressively inundated. It was enlarged in the fifteenth century and abandoned in 1804, itself succumbing to the encroaching sands.
 
     
 
     
 
     
 
     
 
     
 
     
 
     
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Church


A church is a place set aside for the public worship of the Christian god. Cornish Churches were often constructed on sites that had been in continuous use since the original establishment of Christianity in the 5th or 6th centuries.

Most churches were extensively repaired or rebuilt in the 15th century, and again during the Victorian period, though many retain traces of earlier architecture.


 
supported by HLF and compiled by the Historic Environment Service of Cornwall County Council  
last updated: 05/09/2007