Home  ·  Neolithic  ·  Bronze Age  ·  Iron Age  ·  Romano-British  ·  Early Mediæval  ·  Mediæval Interactive Maps  
 
 
Mediæval
   
Bridge
Castle
Chapel
Church
Holy Well
Manor
Plain-an-Gwarry
Pound
   
 
 
    Chapel menu
1066 to 1540
 
 
Berry Tower   Berry Tower
The town of Bodmin has played a central role in the development of Christianity in Cornwall, and tradition, legend and history combine to suggest that the area around the Berry Tower was an early focus of settlement.
 
Roche Rock   Roche Rock Chapel
Built in the early fifteenth century and dedicated in 1409 to St Michael the chapel, built on the precipitous outcrop of Roche Rock, ingeniously incorporates the bedrock in its structure.
 
Trethevey Chapel   Trethevey Chapel
The present Trethevey chapel is a rebuilt structure on the original foundations of a chapel recorded in 1457 when John Gregory, Vicar of Tintagel, was granted a licence to celebrate Mass there.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Chapel


The term ’chapel’ has many meanings, but is here taken to refer to a building or a room used specifically as a place of Christian worship during the mediæval period. A chapel may be a separate building, or part of a church or private residence.

Chapels can have specific functions, as oratories for instance or as a places devoted to special services. In the post-mediæval period the term came to indicate a place of worship for members of various dissenting Protestant churches, as Baptists or Methodists.


 
supported by HLF and compiled by the Historic Environment Service of Cornwall County Council  
last updated: 05/09/2007